History
Our Roots

There was one thing no member of the congregation -- male or female, young or old— could do anything about: the weather. Winter months found the sanctuary so cold that church services were sometimes cancelled.  In 1899, however a hot air furnace was installed under the alcove to replace the old potbellied stove. Almost 100 years later, in 1981, two new gas fired boilers for central heating were installed.

During summer months, heat inside the sanctuary often proved unbearable. The church was usually closed for the month of August.  In 1939, however, the session decided to hold Sunday services in August from 8:00 A. M. until 8:45 A.M.  Two years later, Sunday services began at 8:oo A.M. until 8:45 A.M. in both July and August. Social functions were held on the second floor of the fire house or on the church lawn.  Finally in 1992, the sanctuary was air conditioned—a gift of an anonymous donor.  The parish hall was air conditioned in 2006. The education wing is kept cool by using window air conditioning units.